Monday, July 03, 2006

Another day of rest

Still no car.

Ramón went to work, Maritza went to school. We didn’t eat breakfast until close to 10. We made a pot of cheese grits and a big skillet of scrambled eggs with onions and peppers.

I found a little toy in a kitchen drawer. It came inside a loaf of bread (loaves of bread here often have little toys, like cereal does in the States). I gave it to Alex to put together. He and Cristina worked on it. It turned out to be a little Bimbo bread truck. Cute!


Sunday morning I had been woken up by Isabella. I turned on the TV in hopes that I could sleep a little longer and wound up watching Rachael Ray cook Flounder Francese with lemon spaghetti. I thought I’d cook that for dinner tonight, so I took the kids to Mas por Menos to get some stuff. We went to the bigger store, the one with the Papa John’s. I couldn’t find flounder, so I got some dorado fillets and some cazon, a fish which I did not recognize but it looked good.


The meal turned out pretty well, but the cazon was tough, almost the consistency of a tough pork chop. Not surprisingly, the more expensive dorado was good and tender. I should have splurged and got all dorado. Now I know.

After getting the kids to bed, I worked on my journal. Ramón had gotten a call from the mechanic and left. I didn’t even want to ask, because I might jinx it. A little while later, I heard a car parking on the porch. Ramon’s car! It does exist! One snag: the engine is running very rough and can only be driven around the neighborhood for the next few days. It will need to be tightened up and fine-tuned after a few days, which means it’s really not of much use to us. Looks like we’ll be calling Steven to try and rent a car for a few more days.

Luckily, Ricardo has an extra car, which just got out of the shop as well. He’s going to let us use that for our last mini-trip to Guanacaste. So we won’t have to rent again after all. I’ll pick it up in Heredia after the Fourth of July party tomorrow.

Note the hair pins in Sofia's hair. They're the ones we bought at Guayabo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home