Thursday, June 15, 2006

Chicken burgers

We didn’t do much today. In fact, Sofia suggested I could title this journal “The Nothing Day 2.”

Costa Rica played their second World Cup match this morning at 7 am. I watched most of it while still in bed. Unfortunately they lost, which means they will not be advancing to the next round. A sad day in Costa Rica.

I didn’t even get in the shower until noon. It was that kind of day.

Cristina and I started mapping out the rest of our days here and figuring out when we were going to do everything that we still wanted to do. Since we haven’t had a car (Ramón’s is still in the shop) we’ve been in kind of a holding mode. Hopefully the car will be ready next week and we’ll have a bit more freedom to explore for the last half of our stay.

I had planned to make chicken burgers for dinner, but I needed some supplies. I was going to go to Mas por Menos by myself, then decided to take Sofia and Alex to get them off the computer. Then Cristina and Isabella decided to come as well. So for the second time in as many days, we walked to Plaza Rohrmoser in the rain.

The burgers I planned to make were not your plain, old run-of-the-mill chicken burgers. A few months ago, I bought a cookbook (Rachel Ray) and tried a recipe for chicken burgers with basil, spinach, and mushrooms. We were all impressed with how full of flavor they were, so I knew that would be a good meal to make for others. I was able to get everything I needed at Mas por Menos, except for shallot. They didn’t have those. Not a big surprise. I bought a little bundle of basil that had massive leaves. Usually basil leaves range in size from tiny, to maybe the size of a bay leaf. But these were almost as big as your hand! Cristina took a picture she was so impressed.

The burgers came out very good. Ramón and Maritza were impressed and had seconds. I also made an unusual (kind of gourmet, I suppose) potato salad, and Sofia’s favorite: tomato-basil salad. To top it all off, we had Swedish lingonberry drink that we brought from IKEA.

Alex and Sofia had done way too much computer and were suffering the ill-effects (Sofia felt kind of sick and Alex was way too whiney during dinner). So we got them to bed as soon as possible. Ramón had a cold, so went to bed early. Cristina was tired and went to bed early. So I washed the dishes and went to bed myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home